Monday 18 September
2017 BMW CAULFIELD CUP CARNIVAL
A HOLISTIC LOOK AT THE CARNIVAL THAT’S BREAKING WITH CONVENTION
The glamourous two-week BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival which attracts over 60,000 visitors each year and offers over $11.2 million in prizemoney is a celebration of everything from world-class racing to style, food and entertainment. With an approach that’s focused on breaking with convention, the 2017 BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival will lead the way for a new style of race day.
The trackside fun kicks off with Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas Day on Saturday 14 October, where four Group 1 races including the $2 million Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas headline the day, followed by the midweek marvel, Catanach’s Jewellers Blue Sapphire Day on Wednesday 18 October, before culminating in BMW Caulfield Cup Day on Saturday 21 October, which features the 140th running of the world’s richest 2400m handicap, the $3.15 million BMW Caulfield Cup.
Caulfield’s unique approach will ensure racegoers experience a day at the races that is bespoke, socially accessible and tailored to suit everyone’s needs from the general racegoer to those in the VIP Heath Enclosure.
CARNIVAL HOT SPOTS
The BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival has re-envisaged the race day experience, creating a desirable location for each and every racegoer and ensuring all precincts have views of the track. Precincts include:
- The Carlton Draught Front Bar: Featuring a live stage, sophisticated bars with Australia’s freshest ‘tank’ beer and some of your favourite pop up food outlets. The Carlton Draught Front Bar is in a prime location to enjoy top live music acts while not missing any of the racing action
- David Jones Fashion Stable: The luxury trackside precinct located on the front lawn is at the centre of all the style, colour and heart stopping race action that the Spring Racing Carnival is renowned. The David Jones Fashion Stable is the perfect meeting point for those who enjoy fashion, music, champagne and want to take in the glamourous spectacle of twice daily designer runway shows to live music, showcasing the latest spring and racewear trends
- Westfield Style Stakes: Sitting alongside the David Jones Fashion Stable, the Westfield Style Stakes is back and bigger than ever following a successful launch in 2016, saw more that 2000 guests enjoy a free fashion photography experience in custom made studios across Labrokes Caulfield Guineas Day and BMW Caulfield Cup Day. The competition element is an opportunity for racegoers to have fun and demonstrate their fashion creds
- Fountain Lawn: Featuring the Priceline Beauty Pavilion as well as the Pimm’s Bar, this is the ideal destination for racegoers to take a few moments to relax and freshen their look. Expert beauty advisers will offer complimentary beauty touch ups across Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas Day and BMW Caulfield Cup Day
The premium spaces don’t stop there. Spoiled for choice, racegoers can enjoy a variety of hospitality hot spots including:
- Caulfield Lounge partnered with David Jones: Located in the VIP Heath Enclosure, this is the most exclusive marquee on-course. Featuring delectable treats curated by MRC Executive Chef Julian Robertshaw and E.P & L.P Executive Chef Louis Tikaram, and boasting high-end beverages, guests and entertainment
- E.P&L.P: West Hollywood’s iconic hot spot is bringing a cool LA flair to the VIP Heath Enclosure for the first time in 2017, with a pop up bar featuring the ‘Where Love Lives’ cocktail and a host of guest DJ’s creating a spot where all Heath Enclosure guests can have fun and mingle LA-style
- EZARD at The Health Enclosure: Acclaimed Two Chef Hat restaurant, EZARD is providing guests an extraordinary dining experience in the VIP Heath Enclosure with paired wines from Yarra Valley’s Coldstream Hills
- Stella Artois MRC Young Members: Returning to its premium in field location, the popular Stella Artois MRC Young Members Marquee will provide guests the ultimate race day experience with private bar, premium food and beverages as well as live entertainment
- The Local: Where delicious street food meets the atmosphere of your local pub. Everything is conveniently accessible, from food, beverages, betting facilities, big screens and live entertainment. It’s the place to party in style and watch all the racing action trackside
- The Moet & Chandon Lawn: Located next to the David Jones Fashion Stable and Westfield Style Stakes, racegoers will enjoy an all-inclusive premium beverages including Moet & Chandon Ice and gourmet grazing menu created by Tommy Collins set on the manicured front lawns with spring garden furniture and live entertainment
Melbourne’s acclaimed Two Chef Hat restaurant, EZARD, led by Teage Ezard and Jarrod Di Blasi, which will offer guests an extraordinary dining experience in the VIP Heath Enclosure with paired wines from Yarra Valley’s Coldstream Hills.
Renowned for its innovative ‘Australian freestyle’ approach, playing with a blend of Asian and contemporary dishes, EZARD will treat racegoers to an assortment of signature dishes; usually reserved for discerning diners at the sleek, subterranean restaurant in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD.
Ian Curley, Executive Chef Consultant of the European Group and owner of Kirk’s Wine Bar and French Saloon will oversee a high-end dining experience in the Black Caviar Restaurant and delectable six course menu in the MRC Committee Room, and Julian Robertshaw MRC Executive Chef will offer an incredible range of Modern-Australian creations that will indulge the most seasoned racegoer across all parts of the racecourse from The Promenade, Skyline Corporate Suites, Heath Enclosure to General Admission areas.
Outside of the Health Enclosure, Carnival guests can enjoy an array of popular Melbourne epicurean eats in The Carlton Draught Front Bar with Biggie Smalls, St Kilda Burger Bar, Che and Red Door, while a premium gourmet grazing menu will be curated by popular caterers Tommy Collins at The Moet & Chandon Lawn and Mama Van and Gringo Van will be looking after racegoers in The Local.
Melbourne’s style elite, Lana Wilkinson and Nadia Bartel return to the Melbourne Racing Club’s prestigious BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival as its official Style Ambassadors.
As leading trend influencers, Lana – BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival, Stylist and Nadia – BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival, Style Ambassador, will share fashion advice to fellow racegoers on how to embrace traditional spring racewear while celebrating modern fashion and personal flair.
Nadia Bartel will participate in judging the popular Westfield Style Stakes – a free digital competition featuring custom-made photography and cinemograph studios.
“The BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival is one of my favourite events of the year from the fashion, to the trackside hospitality and of course the racing. I’m so excited to join the team again as the BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival Style Ambassador which will also see me participate as a judge in the popular Westfield Style Stakes, where racegoers can have their photo taken in custom-made photography studios.” Nadia said.
A must visit for appreciators of style, is the David Jones Fashion Stable, a luxurious precinct on the front lawn which will feature two unique designer runway shows on each major race day, showcasing the latest spring racewear trends from the store’s fabulous stable of Australian and International designers.
ARIA award winning Australian rock band The Temper Trap will perform live at this year’s Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas Day.
Renowned for multiple chart-topping hits, including ‘Sweet Disposition’, ‘Love Lost’ and ‘Fader’, The Temper Trap will entertain racegoers with a mix of classic and current hits at The Carlton Draught Front Bar. The Temper Trap has recently launched its long-awaited new album ‘Thick as Thieves’ which channels the sound of a band that has taken risks, and followed their hearts.
“We’re really excited to be playing at this year’s Caulfield Guineas Day. Guineas is such a big day on the racing calendar in Melbourne and we look forward to coming home to Australia and bringing some live music to Caulfield.”
If that’s not enough to get racegoers excited, renowned global DJ Grant Smillie will be flying out from Los Angeles to be the headlining act for BMW Caulfield Cup Day.
“DJ’ing in Australia is always fun – especially on days like these and I am expecting nothing less at Caulfield as we keep the party rocking after the horses have finished for the day. I’ll be bringing a bunch of new music that I’ve picked up in LA and look forward to dropping a few familiar classics.”
Racegoers are urged to plan ahead and take advantage of the General Admission Early Bird Ticketing offer which is on sale now until Sunday 24 September.